- 2 cups grated coconut
- 3–4 green chilies
- 1–2 tablespoon tamarind pulp
- Salt to taste
- 1/4 cup water (or as required)
- 1 teaspoon split gram dal (urad dal)
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- A sprig of curry leaves
- 1 teaspoon oil
- For seasoning: Heat oil in a small pan. Add urad dal and fry for a few minutes till it turns light golden in color. Add to it mustard seeds and let these splutter.
- Add curry leaves and fry. Set aside.
- Add shredded coconut in a blender and grind it with chopped green chilies and tamarind pulp. In case you do not have the shredded coconut readily available, you can add small pieces of coconut too. The number of chillies to be added can vary based on one’s preference for spiciness.
- Add some water, as required to obtain a fine paste. Add water with caution to avoid runny chutney. Transfer this to a serving bowl. Add the seasoning to it and mix well.