- 1 kg chicken, washed and drained completely
- 2 large onions, finely sliced
- 3 tbsp chopped coriander leaves
- 1/3 cup mint leaves
- 1/2 tsp saffron
- 3 tbsp lukewarm milk
- Salt to taste
- 2 tbsps ghee + 4 tbsps oil
- 3/4 cup sour thick curd
- 8-10 green chillies, make a small slit in them
- 1.5 tbsp ginger garlic paste
- 1 tbsp red chilli pwd
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 3/4 tbsp coriander powder
- 1/2 cup chopped coriander leaves
- 1/2 cup mint leaves
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 3/4 tbsp salt
Biryani Masala Powder –
1″ cinnamon stick
4 green cardamoms
3/4 tsp shahi jeera (caraway seeds)
For Rice –
- 4 cups Basmati rice (1 kg)
- 6 cloves
- 3 cardamoms
- 1″ cinnamon stick
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 star anise
- 10 mint leaves
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1.5 tbsp salt
- Water as required
- Heat 3 tbsp oil + 1 tbsp ghee in a kadhai.
- Once hot, reduce flame and add the sliced onions and fry till they reach a nice golden brown color.
- Remove the fried onions with a slotted spoon immediately as they quickly turn a darker color.
- Set aside to cool.
- Marinate chicken with the ingredients called for ‘marination’ along with three fourth of the biryani masala powder and 3 tbsps of the fried onions.
- Leave to marinate overnight in the refrigerator
- Add the saffron to the lukewarm milk and combine well. Keep aside.
- Cook basmati rice in lots of water along with bay leaves, cloves, cinnamon, cardamom, cardamom, oil, salt till it is half cooked.
- Strain the water and spread the rice on a large wide plate.
- Take a wide deep vessel to prepare the biryani.
- Add the leftover oil+ghee mixture (after frying the onions), add the marinated chicken and spread out over the vessel.
- Cook on high for 2 min.
- Add a tbsp of oil over the chicken pieces. Reduce flame.
- Spread half of the rice over the chicken layer, pour half a tbsp of ghee all over the rice, add half of the caramelized onions and spread over the rice.
- Next, sprinkle half of the chopped coriander leaves, half of the mint leaves, and a large pinch of biryani masala.
- Pour 1.5 tbsp of saffron milk over the rice.
- Over this layer, spread the remaining rice.
- Again pour half a tbsp of ghee all over, add remaining caramelized onions and spread over the rice.
- Finally, sprinkle the remaining chopped coriander leaves, mint leaves and a large pinch of biryani masala.
- Sprinkle the remaining saffron milk over the rice.
- Cover with lid and place a heavy weight over the lid
- Seal the edges of the lid with wheat dough
- Cook on high flame for 2 minutes
- Remove the vessel from the stove and place an iron tawa.
- Increase the flame and allow the tawa to turn hot.
- Reduce to low flame and place the biryani vessel on the iron tawa and cook biryani for 20-25 mins.
- Turn off heat and do not remove lid for 10 minutes
- After 10 minutes , remove the lid, mix gently and serve hot with raita